Presenting our Staff
Marcelo Garcia Black Belt
Dan Covel is the Head instructor at Hoboken Jiu Jitsu and holds the rank of Black belt in both Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo.
- IBJFF Tournament Record
- 2015 spring NY open champion gi
- 2015 summer NY open champion no gi
- 2015 NY pro champion gi
- 2014 summer NY open champion
- 2014 no gi Pan Am champion + a wide variety of other top three finishes over the years in different IBJJF events.
- Sponsors: Scramble http://www.scramblestuff.com ,
RICH VAN HOUTEN
Marcelo Garcia Brown Belt
Rich was introduced to MMA in high school while wrestling at a club out of Tiger Schulmans headquarters. Being exposed to the early underground Mixed Martial Arts scene in New Jersey, he was instantly attracted to the sport. Rich continued to wrestle in college at James Madison University and would train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu occasionally when home for summer break. With a strong desire to be around the sport, Rich opened LA Boxing Hoboken in 2008 which was later converted to UFC Gym Hoboken. At first Rich's main focus was MMA and went on to win both his Amateur and Professional fights. With injuries and business obligations Rich decided focus his efforts on running the gym.
With distractions training at his own gym, Rich decided to join Marcelo Garcia Academy in 2014. With his focus on getting better at Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training with the some of the best grapplers in the world. Rich's main influences on the mat are: Marcelo Garcia, Dan Covel, Gianni Grippo, Paul Schreiner, JT Torres and all his training partners at MGA and Hoboken Jiu Jitsu.
- Brown Belt No Gi World Champ Featherweight (Masters)
- Division 1 college wrestler
- Undefeated MMA Record
- 1-0 Amateur
- 1-0 Pro
- 15+ years boxing experience
- Sponsors: Moya Brand http://www.moyabrand.com